Statue of Unity, the tallest statue in the world which has recently been dedicated to the nation as a tribute to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron man of India. The statue is situated at a distance of 3.5 km from the Sardar Sarovar Dam, on Sadhu Hill on the bed of Narmada River. The statue was unveiled on 31st October 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, on the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Patel and it opened for the public on 1st November.
Here are some facts that you must know about the Statue of Unity
- Have you ever thought, why the height is 182 meters?
The height of the statue was fixed 182 meter as the number of seats of Gujrat constituent assembly as also 182.
2. The foundation of the statue was laid by the Gujrat Chief Minister Narendra Modi, now Prime Minister on October 2013
3. The statue is built within 33 months by the infrastructure Giant Larsen & Toubro (L&T). Nearly 3400 workers and 250 engineers have worked round the clock to build this statue.
4. L&T will be handling the maintenance of the statue for 25.
5. The total cost of this mega project is 2989 crore rupees with its associated projects such as a four-lane approaching highway, a walkway and a 3-star lodging building named “Shrestra Bharat Bhavan” to provide tourists a better facility to visit the statue.
6. The statue is enabled to withstand up to the 180 km/h velocity of wind and can also survive an earthquake of 6.5 magnitudes, at a depth of 10 km and a radius of 12 km of the statue.
7. The Statue has a viewing gallery at the height of 153 meters, which can accommodate up to 200 visitors at a time. Visitors can have a view of Sardar Sarovar Dam and the Satpura and Vindhya Mountain from there.
8. The base of the statue stands at a height of 237.35 meters above sea level.
9. The Statue of Unity is designed by Padma Bhusan Sculptor Ram Suthar.
10. If you are thinking to visit there, you can buy